Friday, June 13, 2008

Barry Manilow Live in Concert at the Las Vegas Hilton

When a friend asked me to secure tickets to see Barry Manilow, I was a bit skeptical, after all my taste in music has changed through the years, I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. Perhaps, when I was younger, Barry Manilow was the king of love songs, but the thought of high school crush memories flooding my mind, was something I wasn't sure I wanted to relive.

From the moment Barry Manilow appears out of a smoky room at the back of the stage, he grabs your attention, with his smooth voice that fills up the entire Theater at the Las Vegas Hilton. I was shocked at how youthful his voice sounded, and wondered if perhaps he was lip syncing, but as time went on, I was convinced that such was not possible.

Barry Manilow's popularity throughout the years, is defined by his music, with hits like I Write The Songs, Mandy, Looks Like We Made It, Copacobana and many others, his music has touched the hearts of many. Manilow performs all these hits including tributes to other artists such as Barbara Streisand, Frankie Valli, the Bee Gees, Christopher Cross and more. The performance was well put together, and there's no doubt in my mind that Barry Manilow has made an impact to the music industry past and present.

The highlight of the entire concert was his performance of the mega-hit "Mandy", here Manilow begins the song with a video from the Tonight Show, where his younger self is performing to a live TV audience. Manilow joins in - and performs a duet with his younger self, a very powerful performance, and well worth the entire ticket price. He ends the concert with the popular dance hit "Copacobana" - a very colorful performance that left the audience in awe.

If you only recall the song "Mandy" from Barry Manilow's plethora of number 1 hits, the concert is well worth your time. You'll be quite surprised, as I was, to how much this entertainer has done throughout his life, and how he still captures your heart just as he had done for over 30 years. I give this concert a thumbs up!

Tickets and information on Barry Manilow's Music and Passion at the Las Vegas Hilton.

No comments: